Monday, March 7, 2016

Naked Node work continues with Part 3

With the Control layer done and wired up, its time to start on the next layer. This next later is one of the easier ones, the computer layer.



The Computer layer is pretty basic. Its consists of a BeagleBoneBlack credit card computer running a version of Allstar link, the image written by WA3DSP. You can also see the soundcard FOB that will be modified and fed to the control layer.

The SMAKN module is  the battery eliminator for the node radio. Commercial bought, this module takes 12VDC and converts it to the 3.7VDC needed by the radio. Its just simpler to buy this commerical converter than it is to make one, wait on the boards, and populate them. Its cost a whopping 5 bucks off amazon.com.

The only other thing to show here is the underside of this layer



The underside I have added to save space, a relay module. Again this was also bought commercial for another project that I decided not to do, so I used it here. The MCU will connect to this module and command it to do what I want. Its just easier to used this than try and make one myself. In this case both the battery eliminator and the relay module saved alot of time. We can see I started wiring up the battery eliminator to the relay. One will turn on and off the radio, the other relay will turn on and off both layers 1 and 2. This way I can kill the radio, yet say connected to the Allstar network if I wish, and then turn on the radio when I want the link active.

Thats really it for Layer 2. Nothing really complicated here. In the next post we will move on to the radio layer, layer 3, and the final layer which is a surprise for now

In the meantime as always

Happy Coding!

No comments:

Post a Comment